PlaygroundDiscGolfClub
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Tips for helping a beginner ?

+4
KEYCHAINSRK
Key Chains 1
DISCKEY
Mr.Rob
8 posters

Go down

General Tips for helping a beginner ? Empty General Tips for helping a beginner ?

Post  Mr.Rob Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:31 am

So, I have been playing a month or two. The last month really got into it an started buying discs. Most all the discs I bought was just things I looked up online. I am looking to hear from more hands on reviews though. What would possibly benefit me more then what " pros " review it as.

Currently I run

Monarch = Backhand but it's more just the " safe " disc Use it on holes like 6 & 9
Sidewider = Backhand for holes like #3 where I want alot of flight and that hard sharp turn in on the basket
Nuke Z = I can sidearm this on 16 and drop it around the basket .. really all I use it for anymore
Orc = Sidearm use on hole #1 or to get that really sharp go right on the flick out of trouble
Teebird = Sidearm use on holes #3 #5 & #13

Putter = Banger Pro I really like this putter but after tossing around my first putter Pro Dart the banger feels just big and bulky

I just picked up a vulcan and I love it for hole 17 thus far..

I know a lot of my problems are coming from me being new, not knowing how to pre-form the shot that needs to be done. I watched many of you go backhand and S it into holes like #5 where I normally flick from. I have not developed that into my game. I can do that nice pretty S shaped shot on #3 but that's because as we all know it's WIDE open and I can get away with height errors that plague my game.

I want to start learning to control my shots better. As I said alot of it is me being new but I would like a good foundation to start with as far as discs are concerned. I'll try anything. So any tips would be great!
Mr.Rob
Mr.Rob

Back to top Go down

General Tips for helping a beginner ? Empty Re: General Tips for helping a beginner ?

Post  DISCKEY Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:53 am

Two cents:

Both the Monarch and Vulcan: with a flat release they should turn over and go right for you with very little fade as they lose speed. In my opinion, you should try a road runner first mainly because it's basically the same disc but a lot slower and doesn't require much power to make it fly properly. Nonetheless, when all three of those begin to turn right for you in flight, then you are releasing flat for the most part.

Disc weight is also important for a beginner. Probably something in the mid 160's to start.

Going to throw in a field is the best way to learn what a disc is "supposed" to do and realize how you are releasing it.

Your Teebird is a great backhand disc that you may end up keeping in your bag forever, you may want to check out an eagle or eagle-x as well.

In the end, it's all about personal preference. Different discs work for different people! There are several discs that I've thrown for a week or so and have never touched again. Part of the learning process! Wink

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask! I will be playing about 330 this afternoon if you happen to be out there.

DISCKEY

Back to top Go down

General Tips for helping a beginner ? Empty Re: General Tips for helping a beginner ?

Post  Mr.Rob Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 am

I played a round this morning but I was going to go back later so ya I'll be up there. Did I meet you ? Don't know names to faces or forum names to anything yet lol.

Mr.Rob
Mr.Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Key Chains 1 Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:27 am

Mr.Rob wrote:I played a round this morning but I was going to go back later so ya I'll be up there. Did I meet you ? Don't know names to faces or forum names to anything yet lol.

That would be my little brother Razz , John tongue and he wimped out and did not come to the bag tag round, lol!

Have a great day disc golfing while I am WORKING Evil or Very Mad

~TK~ sunny
aka Teresa
Key Chains 1
Key Chains 1
Admin

http://www.keychainsbikedisc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DISCKEY Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:43 am

Really??? Some of us have two jobs ya know!! Besides, I have #1 so what's the point in coming???LMAO;) "u gonna put up $20???" lol!

ps- that was a joke!

DISCKEY

Back to top Go down

Post  KEYCHAINSRK Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 am

REAL......LY!! That can be changed! Have a Great Day!
KEYCHAINSRK
KEYCHAINSRK
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Rob Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:48 am

Ya how long are you going to be out there? Disco was wanting to play a round too but he don't get in town from work till 5:30-5:40
Mr.Rob
Mr.Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  DISCKEY Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 am

@Ronda in my best Pakistani voice: "NO TAG FOR YOU!" signed Tag Nazi

I have your tag too btw!

@Rob, probably out there til dark

DISCKEY

Back to top Go down

Post  KEYCHAINSRK Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:58 am

Neutral
KEYCHAINSRK
KEYCHAINSRK
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Key Chains 1 Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:09 pm

DISCKEY wrote:Really??? Some of us have two jobs ya know!! Besides, I have #1 so what's the point in coming???LMAO;) "u gonna put up $20???" lol!

ps- that was a joke!

Yeah you are right, I do have 2 jobs... 3 really if you want to count my AWESOME parenting skillzzzzzz cheers

And as for that #1 tag..... would you like to know what I think you should do with it affraid ... Didn't think so lol!

Have a great day folks.... I have to get to WORKKKK tongue

~TK~ sunny
Key Chains 1
Key Chains 1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Rob Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 pm

lol! @ u 2

Well if it's all good with you I would love to get in a round with ya, I may be out earlier then him but if not around 5:40 play a round ?
Mr.Rob
Mr.Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Disco850 Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:04 pm

Im trying to get there tonigt too hopefully I can tag along.

Disco850

Back to top Go down

Post  KEYCHAINSRK Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:52 pm

KEYCHAINSRK
KEYCHAINSRK
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mark m Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:07 pm

my two cents on disc choce.

do you have the needed arm speed for what you are throwing . weights are important but if you can not get them to speed they will not fly like they are meant to fly.

if you are trying to get a vulcan or an katana,monarch to flip and turn right but there not . you are not getting enough snap and speed out of your throw. i would start throwing a leopard and learn from that. you will gain more control and better distance with these lower speed disc. just because the newer disc boust speeds in the 12,and13 areas doesnt mean you have to use them for 250' shots. shots in the 200' range i throw my putter or a panther.

learn to rip and control your mid range disc, a roc or stngray,shark,mako etc. they all are designed to fly certain ways just like the faster speed disc. this will help you throw the higher speeds disc better and farther

for example my disc and distance

star vulcan 175 350-400' open fields shots and backhand rollers. long turnovers
ch wrath 167 300-375' pin point placement flick rollers long s shots
star roadrunner 172 300-350' high turnovers tunnel shots rollers
ch teebird 175 200-325' everything disc flicks flick rollers
ch leopard 171 200-325' turnovers tunnel shots rollers
pro r rhyno 175 putter and approach shots 200' or more and short rollers
these are just to name a few.

so get out there and let them rip and the most important thing is to have fun

mark m
mark m

Back to top Go down

Post  Key Chains 1 Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:45 am

THANK YOU Mark M. Very Happy

~TK~ sunny
Key Chains 1
Key Chains 1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kcaviarmanluke Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:30 pm

well what i say is whatever disc you want for beginners i definitely say lighter weight and dont go for the super fast stable stuff. in my opinion a sidewinder, roadrunner should always be in the bag reliable turnover disc that will go. a teebird is a good stable frisbee idk if for beginner you need one in ur bag because the last few runs of teebirds have been stable. i keep a champ leopard in my bag it is so straight and will turn a little right if i want it. it is def a go to disc. for sidearms if u have some good snap(meaning it doesnt come out wobbly) a firebird , flick ,fl , predator somethinfg along those lines. for developing throws a disc that you can release flat and will end right but fly straight id say an orc is good, wraith maybe or avenger surge.putter wise i putt with a dx big bead aviars they dont make them anymore but it is a gummier version of a kc aviar and a stiffer version of the jk aviar. all pros you see putt with stiff putters kcs, big beads, pro challengers, d magnets. this is because you dont want the disc to form to your hand and u want a clean release. id recommend either aviars or challengers. a lot of top players at ferry have them and u can try them. mid range wise if u start to get a clean flat release you must have either an element, md2, roc, or buzzz in ur bag. but when you are starting i would say a comet, meteor, cobra, panther something in there. if anybody needs any help i am usualy out there and ud know me when u saw me because i am like the only 13 year old. you can try out any of my plastic if u want to too
kcaviarmanluke
kcaviarmanluke

Back to top Go down

Post  Drake N Bake Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:52 pm

deffinitely learn to throw your mid ranges and putters. they may not seem to go as far at the start, but after I practiced enough with them, I can throw my putter over 300 and I know some players that throw putters 350 or more. Putters are the most accurate disc in your bag and if you can learn to place your shot in a five foot circle, you can birdie most holes at ferry each round. Mids are a very important part of the game, allowing a little more distance with controlling aspects unmatched by any driver. I throw a Buzzz and an Element and both are fantastic straight mids. I'm always up for giving a few tips and helping out with throw styles, just give me a call at 850-598-6971 if you want to set up any times to meet at the course and throw.
Drake N Bake
Drake N Bake

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down