PlaygroundDiscGolfClub
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue Heron and ducks

+2
phunter
Mr.Rob
6 posters

Go down

Blue Heron and ducks Empty Blue Heron and ducks

Post  Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Im sure some of you have noticed a couple of the irregular birds we have had at our lil park lately. It has been nice to see some new animal life in the area even if only for a season. Unfortunately over the past week I have seen it go to crap and am kinda aggrivated about it. Last week we had 5 baby ducks and 1 medium sized one around #5 tee box. Now only the medium one is left and have observed people harrassing it. I dont recall who I was with yesterday however we saw someone coax the duck over and then released their lab on it to chase it. Now the blue heron which was hanging out around the 7/17 teeboxes has been injured and wouldnt leave a log there and then yesterday I saw it had moved closer to the shore still hunched over not moving and was in the same spot this morning when I was out first thing. I contacted FWC and they gave me 2 numbers of local rehabs that they work with. Unfortunately I have been unable to get ahold of either of those people yet and I guess it doesnt matter being that I just saw someone post a pic on facebook of them grasping it by the beak giving it a thumbs up as if they did something wonderful. Granted I know there is nothing the club can actually do about this but this just goes along with the rest of the issues that we have as far as people disrespecting what we have. Im sure the city wouldnt be too happy to hear that disc golfers are out there being destructive and terrorizing nature.

***edit aparently the person who posted the pic called the wildlife people to come get the bird and took it upon themselves to catch it for them. Please leave things like this to the professionals.

Back to top Go down

Blue Heron and ducks Empty Re: Blue Heron and ducks

Post  Mr.Rob Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:27 pm

There are just some things we can not control. It sucks that people are that dumb or childish.
Mr.Rob
Mr.Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  phunter Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Jon,
I called the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge Saturday right after the food toss. The man told me they were going to send out an officer to look at the heron. We saw the heron Sunday and wondered if they came out. We have seen the mom duck but we did not see any babies. I wish I had seen the babies.
Mrs. Hunter

phunter

Back to top Go down

Blue Heron and ducks Empty Heron

Post  Pappy Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:34 pm

That Blue Heron was cool. It was almost as if it liked watching us play. People never cease to amaze me with their stupidity, thoughtlessness and even cruelty.

Pappy

Back to top Go down

Post  KEYCHAINSRK Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:53 am

I agree Pappy. I never saw any babies either Mrs. Hunter, but if I witness anyone messing with the mama duck they will wish they never met me!

Ronda
KEYCHAINSRK
KEYCHAINSRK
Admin

http://www.keychainsbikedisc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chase_corley Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:29 pm

I helped that heron out, it's leg was snapped in half. I wasn't going to watch it sit there and suffer. I climbed into that nasty water and caught it. We called 5 different places until we finally had someone come out to ferry and pick it up. I don't know if you would say I did something wonderful, but I'm the only one who tried to help the bird instead of just watching him hang out in one spot for days. I'm pretty sure the city would like to know that the disc golfers are trying to help the wild life. I would rather take it upon myself to help him, then to smell him dead in the water, but that's just this guy.

chase_corley

Back to top Go down

Post  KEYCHAINSRK Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:21 pm

chase_corley wrote:I helped that heron out, it's leg was snapped in half. I wasn't going to watch it sit there and suffer. I climbed into that nasty water and caught it. We called 5 different places until we finally had someone come out to ferry and pick it up. I don't know if you would say I did something wonderful, but I'm the only one who tried to help the bird instead of just watching him hang out in one spot for days. I'm pretty sure the city would like to know that the disc golfers are trying to help the wild life. I would rather take it upon myself to help him, then to smell him dead in the water, but that's just this guy.

Chase, these posts were writtin before everyone new it was you that helped him! Thank-you for doing that, You're the BOMB...........!!

Ronda
KEYCHAINSRK
KEYCHAINSRK
Admin

http://www.keychainsbikedisc.com

Back to top Go down

Blue Heron and ducks Empty Heron

Post  Pappy Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 am

"People never cease to amaze me with their stupidity, thoughtlessness and even cruelty."

Chase, the other side of that coin is that people still amaze me with their compassion and willingness to step up and do good deeds. It would appear the you fall into the latter group. Well done.

Pappy

Back to top Go down

Post  chase_corley Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:24 am

well thank you pappy i try to do what i can im just a small town hero lol

chase_corley

Back to top Go down

Blue Heron and ducks Empty animals

Post  slingshot,scott Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:15 am

I was putting at the practice basket one night and an old man had 3 dogs of all sizes not on leases,of course.All i heard was the man yellin at his dog "dont eat that""let that go"so it was a duck,ect.I told him to get control of them dogs with a leases.Yea everyone thinks it disc golfers

slingshot,scott

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down