PlaygroundDiscGolfClub
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings from Illinois!

5 posters

Go down

Greetings from Illinois! Empty Greetings from Illinois!

Post  aaron Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:15 am

Hey there Playground disc golf friends! Im from Springfield Illinois and will be in your neck of the woods for a few days. I have a fairly easy question i hope a few of you can help me with.

I am going to be in Destin for about 5 days and have been googlin around for local disc golf courses in the area. PDGA course finder led me to Ferry Park which i no doubt will play a few times, it being relatively close to Destin. My question is if i take the short road trip, which course is the most fun/ most challenging. My pick is between Sunset in Gulf Breeze or the course(or 2?) in Blue Angel Park in Pensacola. I know both is what id like to do but ill probably only have a vehicle for 1 day for a long stretch of time. Also from what I've read Blue Angel is pay to play? The course updates are farily old so any other courses that ive missed feel free to suggest Smile Thanks for your time!

Any advice or helpful comments are welcome, looking forward to throwin some new courses.

aaron

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Illinois! Empty Re: Greetings from Illinois!

Post  Drake N Bake Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:31 am

great to hear you'll be coming to the area! you'll definitely enjoy your stay! Blue Angel is the most challenging course in the area, and it is pay to play, however it isn't much. I think for one person you'll pay somewhere around $5 for the day. Blue Angel is two 18 hole courses, The Palms, and The Oaks, which are both side by side and easy to find. Gulf breeze is a very fun course and is free to play. Ferry Park and Gulf Breeze play very similar and is also free. Ferry is a little closer to Destin though and will save you about 40 minutes of driving.

The only other nearby course I know of is the Milton PJC courses. They have a 9 hole and an 18 hole. Milton is by far my personal favorite and is about the same length drive as Gulf Breeze. I'd love to play a couple rounds with you where ever you decided so please let me know! 850-598-6971 call or text anytime you want more information, directions, or to play a round in the area.

Oh there is also a 9 hole course in Panama City, but honestly it's not worth the drive unless you're in that area anyways. The whole course can be played with a putter. Although it is a fun course for ace runs!
Drake N Bake
Drake N Bake

Back to top Go down

Post  aaron Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:53 am

Im also lookin to maybe grab a few club stamped discs if thats possible as well, im a sucker for unique stamps. If anyone is up for a trade I could bring some Springfield disc golf club discs.(Mostly Innova line normal/CE plastic) Ill definitely give you a buzz for a round, always helps to have some local intel hehe. Blue Angel with the two courses seems to make the most sense at the moment.

aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  joe_kool315 Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:27 am

The Palmetto is definitely the easier of the 2 courses out there, the oaks can be brutal especially with the wrong wind. They're in the process of modifying the course from 2 21 or 222 hole courses to a little more challenging 18 hole courses.

The milton courses are pretty heavily wooded as well and I personally enjoyed 2 rounds on the course in gulf breeze better than the milton course(s). I'm still pretty much a noob to the game too so take it with a grain of salt Wink

joe_kool315
joe_kool315

Back to top Go down

Post  KEYCHAINSRK Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Hey Aaron, Welcome to our area! Stop by our store while you are in town. Keychains Bike & Disc 20 Walter Martin Rd. Fort walton Beach Fl. Its right down from Ferry Park! And we will make you custom disc from our club and area!!
KEYCHAINSRK
KEYCHAINSRK
Admin

http://www.keychainsbikedisc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  aaron Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:37 am

Thanks for the great response, feels like your disc golf community is thriving down there. Drake ill definitely shoot ya a text or somethin for a round and will stop in at keychains for some homegrown stampage. Thanks for making a stranger feel welcome, I wasnt sure about posting on your forums but who am i kidding, this is disc golf people were talkin about. Smile

aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  Drake N Bake Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:39 am

we are very glad you posted! we love meeting new people! and getting to see styles from golfers across the country has always been something I love!
Drake N Bake
Drake N Bake

Back to top Go down

Post  aaron Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:47 am

I played 2 league rounds saturday in 17-20 mph winds, 19 degrees and mixture of snow/sleet. Im hoping for shorts and a sweatshirt down there but it will be nice just to not have 6 layers on. According to the news yall are havin a bit of a cold snap tho it seems, amirite? SAVE THE STRAWBERRIES AND ORANGES!!!!

aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  Drake N Bake Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:03 pm

today it warmed up a little bit. the temperature down here is definitely misleading to most visitors, especially coming from cold regions. usually around here pants and a jacket will suffice though, shorts get a bit chilly. the big thing is this is a different kind of cold most places experience, while it still won't be as cold as Illinois don't underestimate it too much and not bring anything warm lol
Drake N Bake
Drake N Bake

Back to top Go down

Post  joe_kool315 Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:18 pm

a "humid" cold with cut through you pretty quickly that's for sure! Shocked
joe_kool315
joe_kool315

Back to top Go down

Post  aaron Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:11 am

On a side note, any kickass places to eat around there? Local type non franchise temples of grub? Also lookin for a place to watch football and booze it up on sunday.

Leavin today around 8pm, lookin to throw around mon and/or tues weather depending. Also gonna stop in at keychains for a fresh stamp. im puttin your number in my phone now drake, heres mine 217-720-9921 i hope i get a chance to throw with ya!

aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  Key Chains 1 Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:29 pm

aaron wrote:On a side note, any kickass places to eat around there? Local type non franchise temples of grub? Also lookin for a place to watch football and booze it up on sunday.

Leavin today around 8pm, lookin to throw around mon and/or tues weather depending. Also gonna stop in at keychains for a fresh stamp. im puttin your number in my phone now drake, heres mine 217-720-9921 i hope i get a chance to throw with ya!

Glad you are coming to our area! Some awesome "local" grub is as follows:

Scullys (they feature ALL kinds of food, also a place to hang, drink and watch the games)

HelenBack ( they have the BEST pizza around, beer and great game day hookup)

Buffalos Reef ( best WINGS EVER and also GREAT game day hookup with beer ) cheers

Hope this helps and I do hope you stop by our store... I am the other half of Key Chains sunny , the nice one actually, my sister (Ronda) is the mean one Twisted Evil Just ask anyone, lol Razz

Have a safe trip down!!

~Teresa~ sunny

Key Chains 1
Key Chains 1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KEYCHAINSRK Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Evil or Very Mad
KEYCHAINSRK
KEYCHAINSRK
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aaron Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Think were gonna hit Scully's up, if anyone normally goes there and wants to say wassup, il buy ya a beer. Lok for 2 dudes and a chic, ill have a brown hat on with a palm tree on it. Lookin to throw 2morrow, yay. Hope i dont regret waitin til 2morrow cause today looks like its gonna be beautiful.(takin the discs anyway, Bears dont play til tomorrow Smile

aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  Drake N Bake Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:08 pm

awesome, glad you made it down safe! hopefully see you at the course tomorrow, I'm off work all day monday so whenever is good for me.
Drake N Bake
Drake N Bake

Back to top Go down

Post  joe_kool315 Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:27 pm

what time tomorrow are you guys going to be out there?
joe_kool315
joe_kool315

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum